Copy of Safe Environment Office
The Safe Environment Office is responsible for administering the Diocesan Safe Environment Policy and the Workplace Bullying & Harassment Prevention Policy in cooperation with the pastors and the parish/school/organization Safe Environment Coordinators.
SAFE ENVIRONMENT POLICY
All volunteers who work with children, youth and vulnerable adults and all Diocesan employees must:
- undergo formal instruction on the Safe Environment Policy (see your parish/school Safe Environment Coordinator)
- complete the Safe Environment Application every five years; and
- receive written approval from the Diocese
- provide a clean criminal record check every five years (scroll down for more information)
Documents and Forms
Click on the following links to access the Safe Environment Policy documents and forms.
VOLUNTEER CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK
All Criminal Record Checks are processed through the Safe Environment Office. Forms are completed at the requesting organization and are then returned to the Safe Environment Office for submission. Neither individuals nor offices, other than the SEO, may submit a request for a Criminal Record Check if using the CRRP form. There is no fee for this process for volunteers.
In order to apply online for a Criminal Record Background Check for volunteers a BC Services Mobile Card must be created at www.gov.bc.ca/bcservicescard The Criminal Record Check may then be requested online at https://justice.gov.bc.ca/criminalrecordcheck. This process, which is free to applicants, requires a code which is available from the Safe Environment Coordinator. The process is available for school, parish and organizational volunteers.
Volunteers are still able to request a Criminal Record Check through their local RCMP detachment. This request must include a Vulnerable Sector Check for children AND vulnerable adults. There is a fee for this process.
EMPLOYEE CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK
All school employees must complete a Criminal Record Background Check with Vulnerable Sector Check for adults and children through CRRP. The paper form for the CRRP must be returned to the Safe Environment Office for submission. Individuals may not submit the form.
Individuals may apply online at https://justice.gov.bc.ca/criminalrecordcheck but must first visit www.gov.bc.ca/bcservicescard to create a BC Services Mobile Card. The online application will require a special code for processing, available from the Safe Environment Office.
When you visit the RCMP or local municipal police, remember the following:
- visit the detachment in which you reside
- bring two pieces of government issued ID. Both IDs must contain your birth date. One piece of ID must contain your photo.
- bring a method of payment (cash or debit)
- request a vulnerable sector search. To ensure that this search is done, bring one of the following letters with you:
In some cases, fingerprinting is required to complete the Criminal Record Check (a fee will apply). If you have been asked to go for fingerprints, contact the Safe Environment Office immediately (250-448-2725 or email). The SEO will provide you with instructions and make a note on your file.
Fingerprints are used to confirm your identity when some of your personal information matches that of a pardoned sex offender.
The processing time for fingerprinting can be up to 22 weeks. You will not be approved to work/volunteer in the Diocese until the final results of the Criminal Record Check, including the fingerprinting, have been submitted to, and reviewed by, the Safe Environment Office.
WORKPLACE BULLYING AND HARASSMENT POLICY
The Diocese of Nelson is committed to creating and maintaining a work environment where people are treated, and treat each other, professionally and respectfully in their interactions and where the dignity of all individuals is upheld. The Workplace Bullying and Harassment training is required every five years for employees and contractors.
Documents and Forms
Please complete and submit the following forms to the Safe Environment Office before you arrive in the Diocese.
Follow this procedure when using the online training videos:
The Pastor, Principal or Safe Environment Coordinator schedules a meeting with the applicant at the parish/school.
- The Pastor, Principal or Safe Environment Coordinator schedules a meeting with the applicant at the parish/school.
- The Pastor, Principal or Safe Environment Coordinator enters the password. Do not give the password to the applicant.
- The applicant watches the entire video in the presence of the Pastor, Principal or Safe Environment Coordinator – no fast-forwarding or stopping it early.
- The Pastor, Principal or Safe Environment Coordinator who supervised the training signs the confirmation of training and mails the original form to the Safe Environment Office.
Safe Environment Policy Training Video - 46 minutes
Updated Information: To report suspected abuse or neglect, phone 1-800-663-9122 at any time of the day or night. Children or Youth may call the Helpline for Children at 310-1234 at any time.
Respectful Workplace Training Video - 37 minutes
(Workplace Bullying & Harassment Prevention)
- Safe Environment Advisory Committee - Diocese of Nelson
- Abuse of Minors. The Church's Response - The Vatican
- From Pain to Hope - Report from the Ad Hoc Committee on Child Sexual Abuse - Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops.
Child and Youth Protection Links
- Protecting Children - BC Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Responding to Child Welfare Concerns: Your Role in Knowing When and What to Report - BC MCFD
- The BC Handbook for Action on Child Abuse and Neglect - BC MCFD
- Canadian Centre for Child Protection
- Child Sexual Abuse: It is Your Business - CCCP
- Guide for Parents: A guide to protect children in child serving organizations - Commit to Kids of CCCP
Canadian Reporting System for Sexual Abuse of Cover-up by a Catholic Bishop
Safe Environment Office
Catholic Pastoral Centre
3665 Benvoulin Road
Kelowna BC V1W 4M7
Phone: 250-448-2725 ext 225
Director of the Safe Environment Office
Rev. Jim McHugh
Diocesan Safe Environment Office